Binomial name: Radermachera sinica
Characteristics: This plant is a fairly new houseplant that has become very popular. It is like a tree, with attractive, glossy, mid-green leaves divided into leaflets. This plant remains fairly compact and it's easy to look after. The China doll tree is known as an air purifier. The name 'China Doll' was given in 1982 after the David Bowie song.
Seeds per packet: 20
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Soak seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Very lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix. Space seeds about 2cm apart from each other. These seeds need light to activate germination. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate. Seed mix must remain moist to touch.
- Germination should be between 3-4 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.