Binomial name: Ficus elastica
Characteristics: One of the most popular indoor plants in the world, it is popular for its ease of care, its large shiny leaves and beauty. It is also popular as it has air purifying qualities. Harvested once per year.
Seeds per packet: 100 approximately
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 25-28°C.
- Soak seeds to break dormancy in pre-boiled water that has been cooled to the touch but is still warm for 10 minutes.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Sow seeds onto the surface of a well draining seed raising mix or peat moss and gently press to ensure the seeds make good contact with the soil. Seeds MUST stay moist at all times (but not soaking), as drying out the medium will cause the seeds' embryos to die. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container (or cover pot with plastic wrap/glass) to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be between 1-5 weeks.
- Once germination has begun, gently remove one corner of the plastic wrap to allow air circulation and allow seedlings to adapt to outside environment.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they have 2-4 true leaves. Keep in part shade.