Binomial name: Colocasia fallax / Silver Leaf Elephant Ear Seeds
Characteristics: Arrow-shaped soft velvet leaves. A stunning houseplant that is popular worldwide for its ‘elephant ears’ shaped leaves.
Seeds per packet: 10 x seeds
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 20-29°C.
- Prepare small pots with a well draining seed raising mix that is light-medium weight. Put sphagnum moss on top to keep moisture in. Sow one seed per pot.
- Sow approximately 2mm deep and moisten (do not water log) with a spray bottle to avoid disturbing seeds.
- Place pots in a warm spot in a mini glasshouse (they must be covered with glass or plastic) that gets plenty of indirect light, not full hot afternoon sun. Ideal temperatures for germination are 22-29°C. Seeds should germinate in these conditions within 17-29 days. A heat mat may be necessary if these temperatures cannot be provided naturally.
- Keep moist during the entire germination period.
- Transplant once necessary.
- Seedlings are small, handle with care