Binomial name: Hypoestes phyllostachya
Seeds per packet: 20
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Sow the seeds at least 3-4cm apart in moist well-draining potting mix. Place in a mini glasshouse.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. Keep moist, but not soggy. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be about 10 days.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.
Note: The first set of leaves has no polka dots but the second set(or the adult leaves) start to show some patterning. The more light you can offer the seedlings, the more colourful they’ll be. As the seedlings grow older, start allowing the soil to dry out more between watering. These plants grow quickly, enjoy them.