Binomial name: Sansevieria hyacinthoides
Characteristics: Also known as The mother-in-law’s tongue this houseplant is an evergreen, perennial herb, with handsome, robust, flat, dark green erect and fibrous leaves. Sansevieria hyacinthoids don't like being overwatered, so water very sparingly.
Seeds per packet: 10
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 20-23°C.
- Soak seeds for 24 hours in room temperature water.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix at a depth of 3mm. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. Do not overwater. Water once when seeds are planted and don’t water again until sprouts appear.
- Germination should be between 15-45 days.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.