Binomial name: Philodendron bipinnatifidum
Characteristics: With its dark, green, shiny leaves and deep lobes, this showy philodendron will bring tropical rainforest flare to your interior space. Variously known as Philodendron selloum, Lacy tree philodendron and Philodendron hope, this houseplant is popular as it grows in warm, partly shaded indoor spaces.
Seeds per packet: 20
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic)
Optimum germination temperature: 22°C.
- Soak seeds for 24 hours in water.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix. Space seeds about 2cm apart. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium. Do not let planting medium dry out.
- Germination is normally between 2-8 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they touch the lid.