Binomial name: Strelitzia reginae
Characteristics: An evergreen perennial and a popular indoor plant. It is commonly known as the bird of paradise or crane flower. It has erect woody stems and large and glossy leaves.
Seeds per packet: 5
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 25°C.
- Put seeds in fridge for two weeks. This tricks the seed into thinking it's winter and will speed up germination when seed is put into warm soil to germinate.
- Scarify seed: nick seed with a sharp knife or abrade with coarse sandpaper. Not too much. Just enough for water to reach the embryo.
- Soak seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Press the seeds into the seed raising mix. Space seeds about 4cm apart from each other.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be between 4-6 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.