Binomial name: Olea europaea
Characteristics: An evergreen tree with dusty green leaves, the olive tree is popular in interior design as it is versatile to many colour palettes. It gives interiors a ‘Mediterranean feel’. Seeds are rare and are from Europe.
Seeds per packet: 10
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (or half sand and half compost)
Optimum germination temperature: 24 degrees Celsius
- Nick seeds with a pair of bolt cutters or similar at the pointy end of the seed.
- Soak seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix at 5cm deep. Space seeds about 5cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Soil should be kept moist at all times.
- Germination should be between 8-10 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.