Binomial name: Nepeta cataria
Characteristics: Commonly known as catnip, catmint and catswort, this herbaceous perennial plant thrives inside on sunny ledges and is loved by cats.
Seeds per packet: 50
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix at a depth of 3mm. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put pots in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Keep moist but not soggy.
- Germination should be between 5-20 days.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.
- Final position should be in part sun where the plant receives morning sun and afternoon shade.
Note: True Catmint takes anywhere between 12-15 weeks to flower depending on when they are sown.