Binomial name: Cyperus alternifolius
Characteristics: The Umbrella part of its name comes from the leaflets that grow on top of the tall and slim stems which look like the spokes of an Umbrella, giving an overall attractive and novel appearance. This grass-like plant is a favourite houseplant worldwide and is commonly regarded as an easy houseplant to care for as it is almost impossible to be killed by overwatering.
Seeds per packet: 200 +
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix
Optimum germination temperature: 20 - 24°C.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Sow on to the surface of moistened seed raising mix and cover with the lightest sprinkling of sieved soil.
- Cover the seeds with a lid and keep them moist. The seeds need darkness to germinate.
- Arrange container on a heat pad and put mini glasshouse in darkness.
- Germination should take place in approximately 10 to 12 days at 20 to 24°C. Maintain this temperature until the seedlings are established.
- Water seeds with a spray bottle whenever the planting medium feels mostly dry just beneath the surface. Avoid making the planting medium soggy, but do not allow it to dry out completely while the seeds are germinating.
- Once seedlings are large enough to handle, approximately eight weeks after sowing transplant a small clump of seedlings, around 4 to 6 plants into a 8 to 10 cm pot. After a further eight weeks transplant into a bigger pot, 12 to 13 cm to grow on.