Binomial name: Crassula ovata
Characteristics: A succulent plant with small pink or white flowers. Variously known as a jade plant, lucky plant, money plant or money tree, they are popular all over the world as a house plant.
Seeds per packet: 20
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix formulated for cactus / succulents.
Optimum germination temperature: 22°C.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Germination can be erratic, but normally between 30-90 days.
- Do no over water seeds. Allow soil to dry out between watering.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.
NB: Seeds are as small as a grain of sand, so take care opening packet.