Binomial name: Mimosa pudica / Sensitive plant / Shame plant
Characteristics: Mimosa Pudica will capture your attention and entertain you. This tropical plant responds to physical touch with seismonastic movements, and at night, the leaves will fold and bend in movements known as nyctonastic movements that are a reaction to the darkness. At night, the leaves assume a folded or sleeping posture. When the plant is touched or in response to applying heat, the leaves can move rapidly, and the plant can snap its leaves shut.
Seeds per packet: 40
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Soak seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix in 1/8 inch of soil. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate. Keep damp to touch at all times.
- Germination should be between 2-3 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.