Binomial name: Ficus benghalensis
Characteristics: Evergreen tree with a wide, leafy, spreading crown. It has large, leathery, glossy, elliptical leaves. Often known as the Banyan Tree.
Seeds per packet: 80
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Soak seeds in water for 24 hours.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be between 4-6 weeks.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.