Binomial name: Ficus auriculata
Characteristics: The Elephant Ear fig tree is a small evergreen to semi-deciduous tree, with ovate (egg-shaped) velvety ear-like leaves. It looks stunning as a houseplant in interior settings. Rare seeds from Canada.
Seeds per packet: 50
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 22-26°C.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix at a depth of 0.5cm. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium. Keep damp, but not soaking.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. If too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be between 2-3 months, sometimes longer so be patient.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.