Binomial name: Fatsia japonica
Characteristics: Evergreen shrub with large glossy green leaves, which grows between 1-3m. The name fatsi is an approximation of the Japanese word for 'eight', referring to the eight leaf lobes.
Seeds per packet: 10
Description: Seed can be sown throughout the year indoors in a mini glasshouse.
Planting medium: Seed raising mix (preferably organic).
Optimum germination temperature: 21°C.
- Create a mini glasshouse. Follow instructions here.
- Lightly press the seeds into the seed raising mix at a depth of 3mm. Space seeds about 1cm apart from each other. Cover with a light sprinkle of soil. Use a spray mist to moisten seeds so seeds are not disturbed.
- Put lid on container to speed up germination, as it increases heat and conserves moisture.
- Put mini glasshouse in indirect sun. Do not put in direct sun, as this will dry the planting medium.
- Put container on heat pad or near a heat source. Keep an eye on the soil and container. Keep moist, but if too much moisture builds up, take the cover off for a bit to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Germination should be between 30-90 days.
- Gently move seedlings to individual containers when they are 3cm high.